View Single Post
Old 12-23-2011, 03:35 PM   #846
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Well, actually, the default install of Perl on Mac OS X expects to find stuff in /Library/Perl/[RELEASE NUMBER]* and you can copy-paste from a backup of that when reinstalling the OS after wiping your boot drive due to irreparable file system corruption, without having to go through the entire reinstalling all the CPAN modules once more to have MobiPerl up and running again.

But yeah, you first need the CPAN modules installed to begin with and you can do that either via MacPorts (in which case it all ends up in a different directory) or manually.

* You will get an error message if it doesn't.
What I meant was.. there is no specific directory that you put perl scripts in that you want to run. You can run a perl script from any folder. Yes, perl expects its own libraries to be in a certain location, which I think you can specify with evn variables or a config file.

That all said, I guess I don't see the problem with using MacPorts. It makes it so much easier. What difference does it make what folder the stuff is in, if it works.

I got it all working pre the Mac Ports directions, and I think they are still on the wiki.. but now all the versions are different and what works on various versions of OS x are different. So, letting MacPorts take care of all the dependencies is much simpler.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote