View Single Post
Old 12-22-2011, 11:28 PM   #11815
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International & Sony PRS-T1
So I have a stack of books to return to the library, and thus I went and finished the collected comic book adaptation of Robert Jordan's The Eye of the World: The Graphic Novel: Volume One, scripted by Chuck Dixon with art by Chase Conley.

I've never read any of the Wheel of Time saga before, and have no intention of doing so, since it's apparently the Unfinished Series That Even Author Existence Failure Will Not Stop (not that it's alone in that distinction, but at least most of the other ones finished a bunch of reasonably standalone stories before that point).

Anyway, it seemed a decent enough if somewhat generic and over-florid "farmboy with secret special heritage is prodded into becoming a hero by tragic events in his home village which set him off on the grand quest full of interesting travel companions to eventually defeat the ultimate evil" kind of thing. The art was also of the same okay but kind of generic type, with some lulzy facial expressions and perspective foreshortening at points.

I'll read any other volumes of the GN which come into the library, but the story and setting overall weren't compelling enough to make me go seek out the originals (even before considering the fact that it's the Series Which Will Never End). This collection does have a really nice sketchbook section of concept art in the back, though, and probably well worth picking up if you're a fan of the series.

Also started in on Gemma Halliday's Spying in High Heels, a former freebie which I finally decided to try because the "High Heels Mysteries" 5-book bundle is the current Kindle Deal of the Day for a mere $1.99.

About 20% in, I've decided to splurge. While it's not deathless prose, it seems so far to be a funny enough chick-lit amateur sleuth series; lightweight comedic fluff which I myself normally wouldn't get at the regular $9.99 asking price because I'm not really the target audience, but I'm certainly willing to pick it up at the promo.

Also, it helps support an author who got screwed through that Dorchester Publishing royalty non-payment issue last year and has since taken her backlist to Smashwords and occasionally offers freebies, so I don't regret spending the $2 since it works out to less than 50 cents per volume.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote