Thread: MobileRead January 2012 - Book Club Vote
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2011, 03:55 PM   #70
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Hubby and I have decided to go to our favorite used book store tomorrow.[...] it turns out that he's interested in reading some of le Carré's work as well[/I].
Don't bother buying the second book, A Murder of Quality. It's mediocre, isn't a spy story, and doesn't include anything you need to know for later books. Trust me on this one. Like many authors, Le Carré suffered a Sophomore Slump but recovered with book #3 (Spy Who Came in from the Cold).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
Game of Thrones - nah, probably not for me.
I'll say this for A Game of Thrones: it's unlike typical "fantasy," in that it's a story largely without magic & supernatural beings. Rather, it's a complicated tale of intrigue and politics among the noble houses of seven feudal, pre-industrial kingdoms. Ambition, greed, sex, power, plots, alliances, deceits, double-crosses, etc. A Game of Thrones is among the best fantasy I've ever read, and it's worth a try for people who "don't like fantasy." That said, please don't vote for it; I just re-read the series several months ago.
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote