View Single Post
Old 12-17-2011, 12:41 AM   #3
BWinmill
Wizard
BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BWinmill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I love how the publishers say that printing is a fraction of the cost of the book, but won't say what that fraction is. They also neglect mentioning what the fixed costs are. Neither the publishers nor the retailer (Kobo in this case) discuss how the price affects sales. In other words, they are more concerned with creating uninformed consumers who will blindly purchase their products. And maybe that wouldn't be so bad if consumers had choices, choices which were traditionally offered by the retailer (which agency pricing effectively kills) and second hand markets (which DRM effectively kills). Yet the story doesn't delve into that either, leaving consumers even further ill informed.

Yes I'm grumpy about this whole issue. I love my eink reader simply because it's portable and allows me to carry a library. Yet I'm also sick of being stuck in the 19th century and having to buy print copies of my favourite titles because the publishers are more interested in manipulating the market than serving it.
BWinmill is offline   Reply With Quote