View Single Post
Old 12-16-2011, 12:32 PM   #14
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by uavalos View Post
iBooks uses webkit as a rendering engine. It gives really good and predictable results. Other ePub readers also use browser as their underlying browsing engines.
I haven't seen iBooks, but from what I've read, it's anything but predictable. As others have said, ePUB is mostly XHTML+CSS, but it's not the same.

Quote:
Speaking of specs, according to the official EPUB specs, version 2 in many cases just picks up the official CSS2 specs! In fact, for margin-left: auto applied to DIVs and tables, the official specs say that it should behave just like a browser.

Here read it for yourself:

http://idpf.org/epub/20/spec/OPS_2.0.1_draft.htm
Yeah, and read the note below the table in section 3.3:

[1] Reading Systems may set the value of any margin property whose specified value is auto to 0.

Quote:
So there you go. ADE sucks. The only reason I'm using it is because of the DRM.
ADE has many bugs, but this particular issue is not a bug, although it's an annoyance and we all wish it would be different.

If you want to complain, start complaining about the lack of support for small-caps. Those are in the spec and they have no "alternative display". Or about Unicode bidi (or right-to-left writing). Or about their treatment of oeb-page-head, which is worse than what a pure browser would do.

Last edited by Jellby; 12-16-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote