View Single Post
Old 12-07-2011, 12:13 PM   #84
chuckz
Enthusiast
chuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watch

Device: none
Screen damage is due to a sloppy mechanical design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar-PocketBooker View Post
Fragility of the screen pertains not only to PocketBook reader, all these screens for all kindles, sonys and nooks of the world are manufactured on the same two facilities in Asia and have the same fragility as any e-ink screen, because they are made from glass.
I always tell my customers to be very careful with readers not to break screens...
I don't want to be nasty - and I've reconciled with the fact that my screen broke - no hitting, no dropping, very careful handling.

But what you said is JUST NOT TRUE!

Nobody (including you) warned me about extreme fragility of the screen. Of course, this is not in the vendor's interest. True - all these screens (including Sony and Amazon) are fragile, but:
these devices have a much better hardware design, in terms of screen support inside of the device.
The Pocketbook 301 design is very sloppy (look at this thread

http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewt...tak+pocketbook

That's the statistics of broken screens according to the above:

200 PB301
110 Lbook V3
70 Sony PRS 505
30 Orsio B731
7 Sony PRS 900
3 Azbuka n516
couple of Kindles

Well, I regret having told all my friends that PB 301 is a wonderful device.

I thought if I ever decide to buy a PB again I would purchase an extended warranty - however, according to this thread it would not cover a broken screen?!
In this case, nothing I can do but give my money to Amazon.

P.S. Ironically, my husband's Kindle is alive and well even though he is not careful with electronics at all. He got even the USB cord torn somehow, while carrying it in his bag where he also throws the Kindle. The poor Kindle looks awful, but works just fine (knocking on the wood )
chuckz is offline   Reply With Quote