View Single Post
Old 05-20-2008, 04:46 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STGR
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
Aliens also presents a similar situation in that two vessels from two races (human and another called Plumies) meet in space. But in this story, there is actual warring going on, but an interesting twist of fate creates allies of the two races. Though much shorter than First Contact, this story resonates within me because of the reaction of both crews to the actions of a single crew member aboard the human ship. It brings to mind some of the racial issues that were going on during the time it was written.

My only complaint about Aliens was that the romantic aspect of it seems to be thrown in there without any real reason.

I recommend both of these stories to anyone who is looking for a positive first contact story with a retro feel. I got a kick out of hearing the word "tape" associated with modern technology.
I think I agree about the romantic sub-plot. It didn't really add anything in my opinion, but rather had the feel of something that was added because the author felt it was expected by his audience (or publisher, maybe?).

I've been reading some A.E. Van Voght (sp?) lately, and I have the same reaction you have to "tape" when he gets going about "radiation" -- they evidently believed at the the time that "radiation" would eventually solve all ills. They also seem to think that we'd be viewing everything on "plates." I find the whole thing vaguely amusing. Excellent stories, though.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote