View Single Post
Old 12-04-2011, 02:28 PM   #62
Spatulachic
Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Nook
I currently own a Nook Classic that I love, but I'm in the market for a tablet, too. I can't decide whether to keep and use my Classic for most of the reading that I do, and then purchase the Nook Tablet for family use and reading when I need the screen backlit, or upgrade to the Touch to keep the e-Ink, and purchase a non-Nook-or-Kindle-eReader-tablet. I love having the e-Ink screen because I'm in front of computers all day long, and when I want to read before bed, it's easier for me to settle down and allow my eyes to rest enough to fall asleep.

Part of me is leaning towards keeping the Classic until it dies (I've can't remember how long I've had it - a year and a half, maybe longer?), and going with the NT, but I'm a little concerned about the functionality. The tablet will definitely be for entertainment purposes - web surfing, email, books in color for my kindergarten-aged son, various apps and games that I have on my Atrix (previously rooted, now unrooted), and watching Netflix and media that I load onto it.

I don't have a problem with the 1GB for personal content since I'd add the microSD card and move all apps I could to that. It sounds like installing 3rd party apps is enabled, so I wouldn't need to root. My chief concerns, though, since this is not an actual Android tablet:

1. I want to be able to load/stream and watch my .avi and .divX files from my home media server. On my phone, I currently use MoboPlayer for the transcoding, and BubbleuPnP for the media server. Will the NT run these apps on the current OS? I don't want to have to convert the files to MP4, then load them when there's a perfectly capable transcoder app - we'll load media for when we're on trips or when I travel, but at home, I'd rather be able to just stream from my media server.

2. Will B&N release firmware updates to keep up with Android technology, or will those firmware updates be geared towards moving *away* from Android to make it more dependent on B&N proprietary software?

3. I don't want to root. Period. I'm sick of rooting my devices to get a functionality that is eventually released in an update or that I can get with another device.

Honestly, I like the idea of the NT, and I've been absolutely thrilled with my Nook Classic, so I'm comfortable with B&N and have always had great customer service. If the NT works for the 'extras' I'd need, I'd rather keep using my Classic as long as I can, and purchase the NT to use as a tablet/eReader. So...for those who are familiar...am I expecting too much? Or would the NT be a good choice for what I want in a tablet device?
Spatulachic is offline   Reply With Quote