View Single Post
Old 12-02-2011, 07:42 PM   #54
Zoshka
Connoisseur
Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 & 4, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
As most people know, I'm not a big fan or was not, of 1st Nook and I keep my position about it. However, played with new Nook Tablet few hours ago in a B&N store close to home with my wife, and we both are impressed.

I bought a Fire the day before thanks giving, and I've played a lot with it during these past holiday days. While not a bad device, I'm a bit disappointed. The UI and performance is not what I was expecting. But I must admit the price is right and the Amazon store gives you a better deal (more apps, more selection )

The Nook Tablet is very responsive and has brighter colors than Fire. I can confirm it, because I've really played with the Fire a few days.

As someone who use dedicated mp3 players for music, the Amazon music content does not play a huge role in a purchase decision, instead, Amazon computer books and selection.

I was able to install B&N app on Fire without rooting. I wonder if people can run Kindle ask or app on Nook Tablet without rooting as well .

I was also initially enthused about the Fire, but then was disappointed. It was too heavy to hold up comfortably with one hand, and the small bezel made it difficult to rest on my chest and view comfortably, particularly watching video in landscape. The email app is very ugly and not pleasant to use--not sure why they couldn't just use Google apps. Worst of all, it seemed to have more glare than the ipad, which is ironic, given their ipad-glare-bashing until they made their own tablet. The fingerprints also seem to be more visible and of course more concentrated on a 7" screen. In the end I agreed with an article I saw today, that the Fire is the netbook of tablets--people buy them because of the cheap price, but then have buyer's remorse when they realize they're so inferior to a full-powered machine and the price isn't worth the unpleasantness of actually using the thing.

I think I'm going to get a NT, though. With the membership and gift card discounts, the price will be much less, and I'd end up paying much more if I kept Amazon Prime anyway, since it inevitably leads to hundreds of dollars in impulse buying for me. The reviews seem to show an edge in Netflix sharpness for the NT, which is my main use of a tablet, and both the NT and Fire are supposedly getting a version of Scrabble (my favorite ipad app) with AI play soon, after a barrage of angry reviews from ripped-off customers used to the K3 and Apple Scrabble experience.
Zoshka is offline   Reply With Quote