View Single Post
Old 12-02-2011, 08:05 AM   #56
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBR
I was considering having a look at this, but after reading this review in full - I'll stick to my apple, and look around for a decent e-ink device as a follow up.
So, an Apple fanboy has decided not to get another tablet based on an editorial by another Apple fanboy? In other news, the sun will rise tomorrow.

For the record, the Fire *is*a tablet. I know this because I am using mine for a LOT more than reading eBooks and watching videos. I haven't hit the app space limit, but I have installed some useful applications including...

- an alarm clock
- a calculator
- a notepad
- a contact manager
- a conversion app
- a dictionary
- an office app (full create/edit)
- an email client
- facebook
- flash cards
- a GRE/SAT app
- a calendar
- internet radio
- a list manager
- a math tutorial
- a math reference
- periodic table
- a police scanner
- spanish flashcards
- spanish tutorial
- anatomy tutorial
- sketch book
- a texting utility
- wifi analyzer
- a metronome
- a weather app
- a signing app

and countless games, so, indeed, there *is* an app for that.

I could use another tablet for these things. I chose Amazon's Fire because...

1) It's a great value. It only costs $200 (and I got mine for a lot less than that). Amazon has provided me with beaucoup free apps and content. I can borrow media from Amazon and public libraries. Prime is good. Free shipping plus tv and movies for $80/yr is appealing to me. (Netflix has doubled in price and I may just transition to Amazon next year.) I have a high level of confidence that Amazon will grow their media library.

2) I believe Amazon is in this game to win. Like Microsoft, Amazon is a tenacious competitor. From discount book store to online retailer to media mogul, Bezos is very serious. I don't expect to learn that the Fire has been discontinued or is no longer supported.

3) Jeff Bezos: “There are two kinds of companies, those that work to try to charge more and those that work to charge less. We will be the second.” I believe this and look forward to an enduring relationship with Amazon.

I can't believe how much scrutiny this toy has received. Reminds me of the people who press their faces against a 32" TV screen trying to discern a difference between 720p and 1080p. Take a step back and enjoy the show.

Last edited by wizwor; 12-02-2011 at 11:57 AM.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote