View Single Post
Old 12-01-2011, 08:51 PM   #57
covingtoncat73
Guru
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo WiFi, Samsung Galaxy SIII, Acer 10'' Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I liked it a lot, but didn't love it. He seemed to not want it all to come to an end. I mean, he didn't exactly Clear the Shire and shuffle everyone off to the Grey Havens, but he came close. Still... I'd recommend it. To anyone who knows exactly what Monkey Ward isówithout a second's hesitation. I enjoyed it a lot more than Under the Dome (and I actually really loved the first half of that book).

I enjoyed all the blasts from the past, though. Especially the bit about kids selling Grit for cash and prizes. I'd almost forgotten about that. I think my parents let me fall for that scam when I was younger.

There's authors I like better and there's authors I think are much better writers, but there's nobody that can write 800+ page novels that read faster than King seems to. That never ceases to amaze me.
(and of course I enjoy spotting the tie-ins to his other works)
You're right, Diap. When he is on, the pages fly by. He knows how people "work." That is what makes him so readable. I forget which writer (it may have been King, I don't know) said that speculative fiction is about ordinary people in extraordinary situations and literary fiction is about extraordinary people in ordinary situations and the former is more interesting (I'm heavily paraphrasing what I can barely remember here). Anyway, I'm more a fan of the former to be sure.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote