View Single Post
Old 11-30-2011, 11:47 PM   #2
nosnoop
Enthusiast
nosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by diftcsx View Post
I was wondering if there's a way to make the Sony PRS-T1 support Chinese epubs without flashing the device?
I would also like to hear more experience regarding this.

After lurking in this forum, I gather that one way is to embed the Chinese font into each epub file as jackie_w described here. The advantage is that you don't need to mess with firmware, the downside would be large increase in file size, and the tedious job of embedding each file; as there is no utility which can do batch conversion.

What are the options for Traditional Chinese fonts? I saw DroidSansFallback being mentioned... is it Unicode only? What about Big5? What other fonts in reasonable size are available which renders well in PRS-T1?

The other option would be to root it and use CoolReader.

Quote:
If flashing/hacking the device is a must, then will I still be able to download software updates for the PRS-T1 after it has been hacked?
You should be able to. My question would be whether minimum root needs to be reapplied after update. And you would probably need a new restore package for the new firmware.
nosnoop is offline   Reply With Quote