View Single Post
Old 11-28-2011, 12:00 PM   #50
mrsquash
Connoisseur
mrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enough

Device: K4-NT, Sony T1
I finished it, and I thought it was great; best he's done since It, in my opinion. And I've been pretty critical of a lot of his recent work. He even nailed the ending, as far as I was concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
It seemed weird to me that out of all the thoughts he could have after learning about the time portal, the very first one was 'I could go back and prevent the JFK assassination.'
Possibly spoilerish, but from the 1st 10% of the book:
Spoiler:
As I remember, the first thought that the guy (Al) who discovered the portal had was "Gee, I can get really cheap hamburger meat here to sell in my restaurant"! The concept of the assassination as a historical "watershed moment" (the title of the fist section of the novel) didn't occur to him until later. He believed that stopping the assassination would also prevent the Vietnam war, saving a lot of lives. Then he passed these ideas on to the novel's protagonist, who was very skeptical at first.

But, hey, if the book doesn't grab you, move on to something that does. Different strokes for different folks.
mrsquash is offline   Reply With Quote