View Single Post
Old 11-24-2011, 11:35 AM   #121
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
I sent (some of) this to the IRC channel:

Although usually reserved for emergencies, many devices can get firmware replacements by the "pin-shorting" method. Connect a boot-rom (carefully chosen) address pin to ground [at just the right time during the boot phase], to make the firmware run but fail CRC check, then device tries to load new firmware from a TFTP server (or serial port).

Although there is a risk of damaging the kindle (especially if you slip and short the wrong pins), I have successfully used this method to "unbrick" multiple WRT54G devices for myself and friends.

This may be useful for development and testing, but is not suitable as a general method for "consumer" firmware upgrades.

Last edited by geekmaster; 11-24-2011 at 11:37 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote