How to Side Load Files (Apps, Documents etc.) using Wireless LAN
You can transfer Apps, Movies, Music, Photos, and Documents from Shared folders on your PC to the Kindle Fire using your Wireless LAN, without using a USB cable. Here's how:
1) Enable Network Discovery, File Sharing, and Media Sharing on your PC (Windows Vista / 7: Control Panel --> Network and Internet --> Network and Sharing Center. Once this is done, create a Shared Folder on your PC using Windows Explorer (e.g. Fire Apps). To share the Folder right click the created Folder and select Share. You can choose to share this with Everyone or just select users. If your PC has a Firewall you need to make sure the Trust Level is set to Share. For example in Norton 2011, under Network Security click on Network Security Map, Edit Network Details, and Edit the trust Level to Shared. Other Security Suites will obviously be different but similar.
2) Download ES file Explorer (free from Amazon App Store)
3) Tap Quick Settings, More, Device, then click On to enable Allow Installation of Applications from Unknown Sources.
4) Open ES File Explorer
5) In the Upper Left Hand Corner Touch Local
6) You should receive a Change View selection
7) Select LAN
8) Select Menu, New, and Scan. (Note: If you know your PC's IP address you can Select Server and enter the IP address, a Username and Password if necessary, or you can log in Anonymous). The Scan option works best for users without a lot of PC experience.
9) If you ran a Scan, you should see a list of PCs on your LAN that have Network Discovery enabled
10) Select your PC and enter Password as needed and the Shared Folder you created should be visible
11) From here you can merely touch an App to "copy" and install it to your Fire. Once the App is downloaded the Fire should prompt you to install it.
12) You can LONG press (press and hold) any App, Document, Movie, Music, or any other file in your Shared Folder and select Copy. You can also select Multiple Files and Copy and Paste them all at once to the Fire. Press the little icon in the right hand corner and another set of icons will appear. Press the one with the plus sign to select multiple files. Once all files are selected LONG press one file and Copy.
13) Back in the top left corner press LAN and select Local
14) Select the Local Folder where you want to copy files. You can use an existing folder create a New Folder using the Menu button.
14) You will see a small slide Tab at the bottom of the screen. Slide it up and long press any file and select Paste or Paste All.
15) Your file should now be on the Fire
16) This procedure is really much easier than it sounds. Plus you eliminate having to use the USB cable every time you want to transfer a document or side load an App.
Last edited by obsessed2; 11-17-2011 at 09:16 PM.