View Single Post
Old 11-14-2011, 02:26 AM   #70
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
From the Suntimes

The Fire can only find and download apps from the Amazon Android App Store; the Google Marketplace is completely disconnected. You can tick a checkbox in its Settings to allow the Fire to run apps downloaded from any arbitrary source (such as, downloading from a website or an independent repository) . . . but few users will find that necessary. Amazon is vetting the thousands of apps already in the store and certifying them for Fire. All they seem to be doing is making sure that the app won’t crash the Fire (by expecting it to have a camera or an old-timey row of fixed Android hard buttons, for example) and doesn’t have one of those phone-oriented user interfaces that looks intensely weird when scaled up to a 7-inch screen.

There seems to be nothing sinister or strategic about their app approvals. Thanks to Mantano Reader ($7.49 and well worth it), I now have what I’ve always wanted: a Kindle that can open and read ePUB books. Mantano even supports Adobe DRM . . . so at least in theory, the Kindle Fire can even import the books you might have bought from a competing digital shop, such as the Google eBookstore. The Fire would be much less than it is if Amazon decided to shut out any app that competed with the company’s own products.
Sideloading! Mantano! I am one happy camper!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote