View Single Post
Old 11-13-2011, 09:29 AM   #14
jackie_w
Wizard
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 2,571
Karma: 3784089
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: UK
Device: Sony PRS-350/650/T1, PB360, Kobo Glo/AuraHD/Aura6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmiller View Post
Thanks for the instructions jackie_w.

Unfortunately, I can't them to work in my slightly different scenario: I am trying to embed fonts in the sblgnt-v1.2.epub online here (http://katadrew.com/files/sblgnt/) so as to get polytonic Greek displaying on my Sony PRS-T1. Instead of GenBK I used GenR102 and GenI102, but followed the other directions as closely as possible. The Greek text displays in Calibre, but not as Gentium. It is still gibberish on the PRS-T1.
If by 'gibberish' you mean that many characters are replaced by '?' on the PRST1 then perhaps the font you are using does not contain all the necessary characters. Did you try GentiumPlus 1.508 downloadable from this page?

I tried it and it looked reasonable to me (however as I don't read Greek I'm not the best judge ). There are only 2 font files (Regular and Italic, no Bold or BoldItalic) so you'll need to adjust the css @font-face statements accordingly by pointing Bold to the Regular .ttf and BoldItalic to the Italic .ttf:
Code:
@font-face {
    font-family: serif;
    font-weight: normal;
    font-style: normal;
    src: url(fonts/GentiumPlus-R.ttf)
    }
@font-face {
    font-family: serif;
    font-weight: normal;
    font-style: italic;
    src: url(fonts/GentiumPlus-I.ttf)
    }
@font-face {
    font-family: serif;
    font-weight: bold;
    font-style: normal;
    src: url(fonts/GentiumPlus-R.ttf)
    }
@font-face {
    font-family: serif;
    font-weight: bold;
    font-style: italic;
    src: url(fonts/GentiumPlus-I.ttf)
    }
I copied the font files to directory Styles/fonts and added these 2 lines to the manifest section of content.opf
Code:
<item href="Styles/fonts/GentiumPlus-R.ttf" id="serifr" media-type="application/x-truetype-font"/>
<item href="Styles/fonts/GentiumPlus-I.ttf" id="serifi" media-type="application/x-truetype-font"/>
If you want Bold and BoldItalic to display correctly you will need to find a font family with all 4 variants and with all the necessary characters included.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote