View Single Post
Old 11-08-2011, 03:25 PM   #6
capnm
Groupie
capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
... looking at a subset of the information does not always mean that it should sort that way.
Agreed.

And if I were sorting only on a date column, I'd probably prefer as granular a sort as possible, minimizing 'randomness' of the result.

That's what I like about your implementation -- I can have my cake and eat it too!

If I want a date sorted to the second, I just display it so. (Actually what you've implemented is even better, I determine the sort granularity with the display format tweak, but I can still refine the appearance by adjusting the display column width -- so I can sort to the second while displaying only the day).

If I want a different date less granular to facilitate nested sorts I display (format tweak) it accordingly.

If I'm willing to take the hit of restarting calibre, I can even switch back and forth! (Though I can't really imagine wanting to do that).

I like it!
capnm is offline   Reply With Quote