Thread: video in epub
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2011, 02:15 AM   #38
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2, iPad, KindleFire and NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
I'd be really astonished IF you find something. (and bet I won't be the only one) Instead of focusing development on well-known troubles on the text-based content side (look in the epub-forum what all requires tweaks to look somehow reasonable and halfway Clean according to typeseting standards) They scraped all bells&whistles together they could find, glued 'em to the format and sprayed "epub3" on the outcome.
Y'know, the sad part is, it doesn't matter. It does not matter one whit what we think, say or do. I have to slog through this crap every day; authors who want every Magpie thing in the whole world in their books, but can't even manage to send me the basic information I need (metadata) for embedding to meet the minimum ePUB standards, so I have to scrounge for it from copyright pages, etc. I've lost track of the number of books that Apple's sent back for the most ludicrous things (not simply to us, mind you); I've had clients who have come to me (for ePUB clean-up of someone else's books) because their books were accepted at Apple but rejected at Overdrive for mystery reasons.

If there's a retailer out there actually using ePUBcheck as something other than an excuse, I'm damned if I know which one it is. Every single day, it's "embed audio" (of some non-professional person reading an excerpt from the work in which it's being embedded--I mean, think about that; not an excerpt from a DIFFERENT or future book--it's the book someone has already bought) or "embed video" (of homemade videos) or "make the ship sail across the sea" (gee, thanks, Threepress), or...oh, my new favorite, make a robot-voice MP3 that magically sounds like Robin Sachs, or...the retailers do NOT care, and the ammy authors only want whatever is going to make them the next John Locke (put the Other books page at the front! Put it at the back! Put it in the middle of the book with a Pink Teddy Bear gift certificate!)...I mean, it's endless.

If I had a wishlist, it would be ONE damn standard that we could all use and, more importantly, rely upon. Do I care if it's html5 and css3? Or ePUB3? No. I just wish it wasn't 20 different moving goalposts for 20 different retailers, particularly when (for those of us making books commercially) most authors won't sell any books on 17 or 18 of those platforms. And it's not just Apple I'm bitching about; Nook is just as bad, and I shudder to think about what will show up in its new incarnation.

Not to mention what happens when they do change something, and suddenly 100 ebooks abruptly look like hell (like the infamous Nook hyphenation issue). It's hard enough trying to explain the very basics ("there are no pages," and "you can't use a sidebar in a K1-K2- or K-3") without trying to explain why everything is different from platform to platform, and how it's not realistic to expect any ebook company to make 5 versions of one book as 5 different ePUBs just to satisfy Nook's RMSDK versus Apple's idiotic centering issue versus Sony's equally idiotic Pre-900 series justification issues...ARRRGGGGHHHHH!

I seriously wish that, glitzy as it is, Apple would have kept ebooks and apps SEPARATE, and kept ebooks as text-delivery devices and apps as whiz-bang "ooooh-aahhhh" mini-website delivery devices. But that ship has sailed (no Threepress pun intended), and those of us in the Biz or dedicated dilettanti are stuck with it.

Sorry...just blowing off some steam. Bad day at Black Rock here at Booknook, where apparently rude clients were the Troop du Jour.

</rant>

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote