View Single Post
Old 10-31-2011, 01:28 PM   #106
foosion
Enthusiast
foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Galaxy Nexus, iPad
My desire is to have a top and bottom border, so that the text does not touch the frame. I can do side borders with the css stylesheet, but top and bottom borders don't work, because they don't work in the gui framework used in Calibre.

Walt, I'm the one who wanted a non-distracting background.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You have to match the background color to the background color of the book page which may or may not be white. Since the calibre viewer supports javascript, you'd have to dynamically change the color if a script in the book page changed the background color.
If Calibre is aware of changes to the background color, it's obviously trivial to change the background color of the border.

Many of the css stylesheets listed in this thread include a background color, some with the !important qualifier. Some also try to add top and bottom margins.

I've never read an ebook that changed the background color in the middle of the book, but I can't pretend to have a small fraction of your experience.
Quote:
And negativeve co-ordinates in the css will not work correctly.
The primary purpose is to implement top and bottom margins, which don't work at the moment. This approach can't do any worse.

This approach is not appropriate for left and right margins, as they work fine by specifying a css stylesheet.
Quote:
Then a book can define different margins in every html file it contains, so you'd have to watch for that and adjust dynamically.
Personally, I just want some blank space on the top an bottom so that the text doesn't crowd the frame. I wouldn't want it to change.
Quote:
All in all, that makes this approach too hacky for the functionality it provides.
Tilting at windmills is a hobby of mine.

If it's not something many people want and it risks being too fragile, it's not a change worth making.

Last edited by foosion; 10-31-2011 at 01:30 PM.
foosion is offline   Reply With Quote