View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011, 02:08 PM   #105
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe2602 View Post
Beware: Many people in Germany report that their device is completely locked up after trying to update.
As far as I'm aware that's what happens to people who use the patch file to update instead of the full firmware. Never ever use the patch file. I'm not sure why it's even in the archive. It doesn't contain half of the files that were changed in this firmware version (630 files were changed between 1.13 and 1.27, the patch contains only 27).

The patch files themselves seem to be mostly identical. The only difference I could make out without looking deeper into it is that the cn/au patch change the firmware version string in the system information from "1.27 EU" to "1.27 CN" and "1.27 AU". There may be other minor changes (such as changing the default language without actually adding any files). It's unlikely that there are any more significant changes as the patch file sizes are too similar (if not to say exactly the same) for that. The main file is the EU version already so there's no change between the EU patch and the full version.

I assume that if anything, those patches are supposed to be used after the 1.27 update and not before (and not at all for the EU version as the main file is already EU according to the version string).

Another thing that all patches do is delete the device's registry (which contains settings such as device idle timeout, identity, last book, etc). So in a way it also acts as a factory reset of sorts

Anyway, don't use the patch files. Always use the full firmware to up- or downgrade the device.

EDIT:

iriverrussia.com has more detailed upgrading instructions (they also have the Basic version without Wifi there).

http://iriverrussia.com/file/200/

As I guessed earlier the instructions say (according to Google translate) that the full hex file should be used first, and then the russian patch file afterwards. Unfortunately I can't find these instructions anywhere in English or German.

Last edited by frostschutz; 10-26-2011 at 12:47 PM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote