View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011, 11:15 AM   #57
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keryl Raist View Post
Well, that's where one would hope the author/publisher would have some sense.

For example, I know I'd be willing to have 10ish linked terms in my book. Since I'm the publisher, I could take care of it to make sure it works that way. (Granted, no one is banging down my door to advertise in my books...)

Now, sure, Random House might decide that having every third word, and writing in extra scenes to add more words, linked is a brilliant plan. But my guess is their sales would drop.

One of my hopes for the indie book movement is that as more writing moves to the control of the author, that we'll see a more tailored and sensible approach to pricing and methods of making money off of books.
I actually believe that indie authors will be the first to pioneer the use of ads in books. Let's face it, Stephen King and James Patterson have made their big money. They don't have to bother with ads in their books or discount their prices.
Indie writers are different. Many of them are looking for income any way they can. I can see indie writers offering two versions of their books - an ad-free 2.99 version for those who hate ads and an ad-supported version for 0.99 or free. There may be even a fremium model where you get the ad-supported model for free with an option to "upgrade" to the ad-free version if you like the book. It works for games and apps, why not books?
The beauty of the "links" approach is that the issue of "intrusiveness" largely disappears, so long as the authors and publishers are sensible about it. Since authors would have ultimate control, it would be win-win for authors, IMO.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote