View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 07:17 PM   #6
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltaz View Post
What I am referring to is the possibility of a catastrophic hardware failure caused simply by installing a software upgrade to the OS - i.e. the WSoD.

And I am not a "normal" user. I am quite fluent in software and hardware as I have been a professional technician (both in computers and consumer electronics) for over 25 years.
Two things you should be aware of.

First the actual number of WSoDs compared to the total number of PEs is very small. Yes, they do get more attention because people turn to here for help when it happens and of those that have suffered a WSoD, many have brought it on themselves by deliberately pushing the video system because they can with the upgrade where they couldn't with Dingo.

Second, your experience should give you some idea of what should and shouldn't be tried. Think of it as someone trying to overclock their computer when the processor and video card are not rated for overclocking - I'm sure you get the picture.

I have an EE and it was upgraded to Ermine three days after the update became available. The only 'problems' I've encountered since then have been the camera not taking reasonable still pictures - the 'green' problem - and the odd times it hasn't come out of hibernation - fixed by pulling the battery.

The WSoD appears to be a PE problem in a very small number of samples. This is most probably caused by the spread of tolerances in the build components, the majority of which would have been weeded out in QC testing in the factory.

Of course non of the above makes your decision any easier, that you must make using your knowledge and experience bearing in mind what you would like to do with your device.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote