View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 03:42 PM   #47
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK Touch; NOOK Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
That was not product placement. Larssen was not paid for including the brand names (as should be obvious). He did it for versimilitude.
I agree with this. I remember that part, when I read it, seemed unnecessary and an unwanted infodump, but I don't consider it product placement. It was just poor writing.

I really doubt Apple went out of their way to pay some (then) unknown Swedish author to mention their device in his book. Do we really think their marketing department thought another 11 customers would boost their business significantly?

We know for a fact that product placement happens in movies and TV shows, but I have not really heard of such in books. It would be news to me.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote