Originally Posted by SCION
So does that mean don't expect a firmware update to correct this? Some are holding tight waiting for a fix.
I have mixed opinions of the Sony Support response. I think that Sony appears to be making more of an effort on customer service since the T1 came out. They provided a quick and easy response. I don't know that it provides an informed, specific answer to a specific problem. I think that there are too many global issues that have been linked together. Some people are having a force-close application error and general crashes. I have not had that problem so I can't comment. Other people have touch screen freezes. Some people might actually have faulty hardware since no product has perfect reliability. Since the firmware is version 1.0 and different from past models, it likely has some bugs to work out too.
Originally Posted by David58117
I suppose ill start trying turning pages only with touchscreen to see if I get the error too.
I suspect that many more people have this issue with the touch-screen freeze and just haven't discovered it yet. If I didn't read periodicals, then I would think my T1 was just fine. My freezes are happening when I read a periodical. I am on my 4th book and 2nd short story with the T1. I have only had one unintentional freeze while reading a book (which was when I was traveling in a car and reading in a way that is not typical for me). All other freezes were intentionally created to see if I could replicate the problem.
I think that you are less likely to experience this problem if your reading process varies as follows:
- You alternate periodically between swipes and buttons to turn pages, or you use buttons only.
- You use the dictionary pop-up to open the dictionary application. Not just read the pop-up at the bottom of the screen but look at the full definition because that triggers a command to open the dictionary application and then go back to the book viewer. The pop-up only is still within the book environment.
- You use the word pop-up to open the browser to look at Wikipedia or google.
- Freezes are happening between 20-45 minutes for me. So if you are not reading for prolonged periods of time before exiting the book, then I don't think you'll experience the issue.
- You let the ereader go to sleep while you are reading.