View Single Post
Old 10-19-2011, 12:50 PM   #46
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4S, FireHD7.1, Nexus7.2, Nexus4, ClipZip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordvic View Post
I'm not entirely sold on $199

I know that that the Kindle isn't available up here in Canada, and this is Kobo's primary Market, being they're canadian,

But the Kindle specs far outweigh those of the Vox, and priced identically. I'm not entirely sure that $199 is the right price.

unless the tech spec's that have been reported by tech sites are wrong, it's only a single core, 800mhz cpu with 512mb ram. While the Kindle is sporting a dual core CPU, a bit more ram, custom UI and a much larger "marketplace" with videos, music, and books.

I think this HAS to be $20-30 cheaper. if you put both on the same storefront shelf for $199, the Kindle is a far greater deal. the "soft" backing, and bare bones Android aren't enough to justify the same cost for significantly lower hardware.
It has the same specs as the Nook Color I bought last year. My NC is rooted, running Android 2.3.7, and has full access to the Android Market. I'm very happy with its capabilities. I'm sure the Vox will get rooted soon enough and open up its potential.

The biggest problem the Fire has is that it's only 8GB with no way to expand the storage. That makes it pretty useless for many of us. Given a choice between a Fire with a 1GHz dual core CPU and no card slot versus a Vox with a 800MHz single core CPU and a card slot; I'd go with the Vox. Videos and audiobooks eat up lots of GBs and that requires a card when wifi isn't available. Since cloud access requires wifi, it's nigh on impossible to tap into a hotspot traveling 65 MPH down the freeway or in some remote backwater spot.

As to pricing; since neither the Fire or Nook Color are available in Canada, the Vox effectively has no competition there and Kobo can price as it pleases. It's a different story in he US and I doubt there'll be many sales down here with the Fire and Nook Color so readily available.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 10-19-2011 at 01:13 PM. Reason: typo
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote