View Single Post
Old 10-17-2011, 09:27 PM   #3
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Hi Adieu, Welcome to the forum mate.

You may want to post an example of the map you intend to use so we can give you some feedback.

Here's a few things that I've learned with the help of the guys and gals on these forum.

When creating a print book that will become an ePub I keep the stylenames simple. h1, h2, h3 for chapter head, section head and subhead which transfers to the CSS and helps conversion programs like Calibre and editing software like Dreamweaver and Sigil do their stuff.
Imageboxes are pasted in-line with the text and not dropped on top as you go.

You will need to tweek the content.OPF and template.CSS files after you export.

Readers and reader software don't like cmyk.

I make the images larger than I need and scale them with CSS.

img {margin: 1em 0 0 0 !important;
max-width:98%;
max-height:98%;
}

That way you can tap them on an apple device and they enlarge to full screen. Maps are always going to be a problem and I've seen many people asking questions about them. Images larger that about 2000 pixels create problems in iBooks with the above css. (Pages disappear after the image)

You will need to be familiar with unpacking and packing the ePub. If you have a Mac look for PDurrant's threads for scrips that do this. If you are using Windows 7 I have a little trick that doesn't require a script to repack the epub. With all the contents of the epub highlighted, right click on the mymtype file and select SEND TO > COMPRESSED (ZIP) FOLDER. Rename it with the epub extension and it validates every time. Noone else around here seems to do it but I've used this method a thousand times.

Using the "Include fonts" in InDesign will invalidate the ePub due to Adobe compression. There's an entire thread on how to do that in the stikis at the top of this forum.

Make cover pages about 800 pixels high. If you use the BOOK feature in InDesign you make the first chapter the cover by placing the cover image in a picture box and cutting and pasting the picture box into a text box.
If the publication is all one file (which is how I do it now) I make the first page the title page and subsequent chapter headers h1 with "Use first level entries as chapter breaks" selected when exporting" You end up with a book without a cover. Then, Using Calibre, convert it from ePub to ePub and add the cover image in the Metadata during the conversion process. Adding //*[name()='h1' or name()='h2'] in the structure detection field ensures that all h1 and h2 headers start at the top of a new page.

Use the search feature. A lot of us have gone through what you are doing now.

Good luck Adieu.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote