Thread: FIRE vs TABLET
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011, 06:26 PM   #66
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
So would you say Coby is a good brand for a tablet? I know around here Coby's other stuff like mp3 player, radios and such is junk.
Back when I was a teenager (many moons ago!), Coby was not known for quality. I don't know if that has changed and how much my teenage snobbish tendencies may have influenced my perception. Back then Sony was "the thing."

I have been looking at the Coby Kyros 8-inch Android 2.3 Internet Touchscreen Tablet (MID8125-4G), which sells for around $170. There is a lesser-priced 7" model, which may have some different specs than below.

Here are the specs for the 8-inch Coby Kyros:

8" resistive touchscreen, 800 x 600, 4:3 aspect ratio
1 GHz Telechip Cortex A8 processor
4GB internal storage
micro SD (to 32GB)
mini-HDMI (1080p output)
Android 2.3
can use Flash
auto rotates
camera (front-facing) & microphone
wifi 802.11 b/g
USB
1.184 lbs.

NO GPS

It comes with Aldiko Reader, but you can install Kindle Reader
Access to AppsLib Apps (no Android Market), and you can get Amazon Apps too
Overall rating at Amazon is 3-1/2 stars out of 5 (282 customer reviews)

It does have some nice features for the price. I'm concerned about the screen being resistive and resolution at 800 x 600 (vs. capacitive and 1024 x 600 on the Fire and Lenovo A1). I've never owned a smartphone or a tablet, so I'm not sure how much those things would matter to me, but screen clarity is important.

I'm still trying to define exactly what I want/need a tablet to do, so I have no idea whether a smaller device is the better choice for me or if I should spend the Big Bucks and get a larger one with more capabilities, like the ASUS Eee Pad Transformer TF101-A1 ($390 plus another $110 for the optional keyboard/docking station = $500).

Portability isn't a huge factor for me, but maybe a 10" tablet would get too tiring to hold? I've never watched a movie on a 7" screen, but it seems very small. And the full-color magazine covers on the Kindle Fire look beautiful, but what is the text going to look like? I don't expect that PDFs would be much more readable on a Fire than a Kindle reader either. I'd love to have both a small and large tablet, but that's not going to happen unless the Universe dumps a bundle of money in my lap.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote