Thread: iLiad Speeding up the system?
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2008, 05:43 PM   #5
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by axel77 View Post
I also always ask me what exactly takes 40 seconds to boot?

I guess networking will take some time, copying around the kernel in memory might also take some seconds..

Having done some embedded linux development in the past I know we once discovered that actually how the linux kernel works, it loads application from "disk" (copy flash memory to volatile memory) and then does the dynamic linking with the libraries... this all takes time, on an embedded device, technically, one could execute a static linked binary directly out of flash, saving quite some time and also memory use, but this kind of "execute from disk" is something not a linux kernel by default caters for. Never have implemented such a static direct execution, since its a big hack... and with usual development deadlines, it doesn't add functionality but "only" some speed on boot and when starting applications..
It's a normal Linux boot. To write the actual RAM data on disk should speed up the process. But on my Asus EEE Laptop the network card isn't working after I return from hibernation.

I'm wondering how Sony's Reader is doing it.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote