View Single Post
Old 10-08-2011, 07:23 PM   #31
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by teadonkey View Post
I really have to disagree. I don't think that reading is 'uncool' and I don't think it's 'cool'. I'm a 21 year old college student and I know a bunch of people who read for fun and a bunch of people who don't. Similarly, I know a bunch of people who like to hike, a bunch of people who like to swim, a bunch of people who like to party, a bunch of people who play video games... Are you getting my point here? I don't see it as cool or uncool, I see it just like any other hobby. Some people like it, some people don't. Some people don't like it and then suddenly do. (I feel like I'm reciting One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish!)

I'd really love to know what makes y'all think reading is UNCOOL? I think the image of a nerdy person reading is extremely dated and not at all the case anymore. All sorts of people read, and considering just how many books are sold, I'd say a heck of a lot of the population reads in some fashion - books, newspapers, nonfiction, magazines.
I tend to agree with TeaDonkey (TeaDonkey, that's a funny word )

With that out of the way, my sister is a high school English teacher, and they have no choice in the matter, but must teach Shakespeare. They do Romeo and Juliet in 9th grade and then later I believe they get a choice between teaching Julius Caesar or A Midsummer Night's Dream. They also have to teach Dickens. I believe they do Great Expectations. However, they are not limited to these books, and my sister has her students read a 300 page novel of their choice a few times a year. If they pick a book over 300 pages that is fine, and if they pick a book under 300 pages that is fine too, but they need to read additional books to get to the 300 page limit. She also doesn't care if it is the Twilight series or whatever.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote