View Single Post
Old 10-05-2011, 12:59 AM   #30
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Ok, here's a possibly unrelated thing I found while looking through the bootloader code. On the Kindle 3/2, if you wanted to flash the serial number, mac address, etc, all you had to do was call "idme --serial XXX" or something like that. I'm guessing this is blocked on the Kindle 4 because Amazon doesn't want people spoofing serial numbers. I think they're achieving this by write-protecting that section of the MMC after bootup. Anyways, to flash the idme vars (serial, mac, boardid, etc), you flash a binary file with the magic number (header) "abcdefghhgfedcba" to 0x3f000 in the nand. I haven't looked into what the format for this file should be, but I'm guessing it's just a byte-aligned file containing all the idme variables. At bootup, when the Kindle detects this (the magic header on 0x3f000), it flashes the variables. Now, I don't know how much use this information is, as I would think you have to have root access before you can start flashing the nand, but just throwing ideas out there.

But yea, I advice everyone who's intrested to read the bootloader code. It's pretty interesting, and has the most potential for a permanent jailbreaking solution. (Aka, not patched in updates). In the source code release, it's the archive named "u-boot-2009.08.tar.bz2". The folders of interests are "/board/imx50_yoshi" (Kindle 4/touch) and "/board/imx51_banjo" (99% sure it's the Kindle fire because it talks about a "system" partition, which we find on android). Also, in "/includes/configs" you'll see "imx35_luigi.h" and "imx51_banjo.h".

Last edited by yifanlu; 10-05-2011 at 01:01 AM.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote