Here are the instructions for a manual firmware update using a PC.
1. Download the firmware zip file.
2. Unzip the firmware zip file to your computer. It will contain
the following: KoboRoot.tgz, manifest.md5sum and an upgrade folder
containing uImage and u-boot.bin.
3. Attach the Kobo Touch to your computer via USB, choose Connect on
the screen and wait for it to appear as a mass storage device on your
4. Navigate to the .kobo folder on the Touch.
5. Copy ALL of the files unzipped in step 2 to the .kobo folder.
6. Properly eject the device from your computer.
7. Detach the USB cable.
8. The upgrading your software screen should appear on your screen and
the Touch will reboot.