View Single Post
Old 10-02-2011, 04:04 PM   #5
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Pad Slider
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
..until October 10 or so (sorry don't remember the exact date).

This has a 6" 1024x768 e-ink screen, which at least in theory should be noticeably sharper than everybody else's 800x600. I was able to see one first hand yesterday but the demo unit wouldn't actually operate for some reason, so it really wasn't possible to evaluate the screen. I thought it was kind of ugly and cheap looking, and reviews have not been that great. Still, I like the idea of a higher resolution screen..

Wonder if anybody has actually bought one and what you think?
I took a look at it... and wound up going with the Kobo Touch instead.

I'm a broke student and I am all about best bang for buck. I never really wanted a physical keyboard, but for the price point, I was willing to check out the demo. They keys are pretty terrible to be honest. I'm not a fan of tiny keys a la Kindle and texting phones in the first place, but the iRiver keys were especially unappealing to use.

I didn't notice a truly significant difference between the screen of the iRiver and other Pearl screens. I doubt it actually makes a difference in use.

It felt a little cheap. Reviews confirmed this - the Engadget review even reporting that their demo unit broke.

There's something to be said for affordable, stripped-down ereaders. But I would rather spend a little more and get something not quite so stripped-down.

This is just my passing impression by toying with a demo unit and reading reviews. I haven't actually owned it - but I didn't find anything that made me want to.
SmokeAndMirrors is offline   Reply With Quote