View Single Post
Old 09-22-2011, 03:38 AM   #57
Cyberman tM
Addict
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ImcoV6l; Elonex EB600 Cool-Er; Kobo Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
4. People who buy books aren't interested in multimedia extravaganzas. We've had multimedia publishing for 15+ years; it's called the World Wide Web. And, about 99.999999% of the time, the more multimedia it is, the more thoroughly it sucks. It is not a replacement for books, and will not kill the market for books.
I assume you have done extensive studies to prove your points? Or are you just distilling this out of the aether?
(I agree with the last sentence, though. There is no need for anything to replace books. Comics didn't replace short stories. Movies didn't replace books.)

Don't forget to add that NO ONE would EVER try to read a technical book on an eReader. That has been declared before, so it must be true.

Of course, both mean that I too cannot exist, because I am interested in "multimedia extravaganzas" and did read somewhat technical books (about programming, though) on the eReader.

----

Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
if everything goes tablet, i'll simply give up ebooks. i already have a smartphone which i find borderline useless, i don't want a bigger version of it.
If I may ask - why?
Assuming the potential tablet would be eReader-sized and use eInk (or another technology with similar result) that has color, why would you give up eBooks? What would you lose?
Unless you mean that you wouldn't want to read on LCD-Screens?

(Note: the above described is what I would envision for "eReaders" of the future. I know it's not a popular thought around here.)

----

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
Its a lots harder technically to pirate a stream.
I wouldn't bet on that.
Digital tools can be used by anyone, once created.
Anything that is "streamed" still needs to be downloaded to the device. You can encrypt the transport, you can hide the download in memory, but at some point it needs to be in plain view, unless you give every customer a free decoder ring.

RealMedia used streams in it's own protocol - there are (have been?) programs to download these streams.
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote