View Single Post
Old 09-21-2011, 01:55 PM   #9
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdgarris View Post
So, my 8 year-old is a big-time reader, and keeps asking for a Kindle. I am at least considering it, although I do have some concerns about him accidentally breaking one if he had it.
Make a good cover for it.
I would consider making a box from extruded polystyrene (normally used as insulation under the floor). I would glue a thin sheet of something (a thin sheet of plywood or a piece of laminate used for printed circuits). Then I would make a kid for the box. In such a box the device has much better chance to survive being dropped on floor.
Nice cover can be made from a hollowed our old book. You need a glue and exacto knife.
At the very least DO buy a nice cover.
For Kindle there are nice metal boxes lined with neoprene.

You can also scour ebay and craiglist for used e-ink readers.

5 inch device, such as Sony 350 (aluminium body) or PocketBook 360 (nice integrated lid) might prove to be sturdier than Kindle - they are much smaller, so twisting the device exerts less force on the screen.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote