Duokan 2013 ( the new version of Duokan Lite, Duokan 2012) is an alternative OS for Kindle3
, Kindle 4
, Kindle Touch
which supports ePub,mobi, Pdf and txt format (and zip and rar formats for pictures)
Up-to-date versions: here
Duokan Lite (previous version of Duokan 2013) has RTL support : Lite2011-12-02.C3177.rtm
[only for K3]
Duokan 2014 Installation for Kindle Paper White (KPW)
Install via KUAL extension
Updating an already installed Duokan to the new version:
To install for the first time:
To switch between Duokan and Kindle quickly without a reboot :
To change the dual boot option to boot KindleOS as default OS after restart:
- For Kindle DX and Kindle DXG users: to install Duokan(2011_05_20) see this post
To use it with Duokan
append this line to DK_System\Lite\config.ini on Kindle
(Thanks to jejer
(ie this one
) (to have Duokan and Duokan Lite at the same time)[only for K3]
To change the system language to English:
Firstly install Duokan
Then install Duokan lite (copy Dk_System from Duokan Lite zip (and confirm all overwriting, merging options)
(If this does not work; also copy the appropriate update file from Duokan Lite zip then update using menu>settings>menu>Update your Kindle)
On the boot screen you will see three options for these three OSs like this:
Later on, when you want to update Duokan Lite for the following releases, only copy DK_System over existing one, then restart and choose Lite on boot screen
(Thanks to runner84 )
To use dictionary:
- K3: press Alt+sym to switch to Settings. You will see the language(语言) part
- K4NT: see this page
- K5/PW: see this page
- this post may help also
To use Duokan in your language:
unzip .dz with 7zip and add this stardict files(.idx, .ifo and .dic) into /DK_System/xKindle/res/dict .
sources for stardict dictionaries:
How to create your own stardict dictionaries: see this post
also this page
Some Other Tips
you should translate English.txt in DK_System/lite/res/language and name it as LanguageName.txt; And choose your language from the settings menu.
You can collaborate by uploading your language file here
A comparison between Duokan(.513) and Duokan 2012
Offical Chinese forum
Türkçe kullanım bilgileri (Turkish)
- Installing 5.3.2 Update without uninstalling Duokan'12 : see this post.
- about OTA updates.
- how to download Duokan from vdisk and pan.baidu
- A way to see annotations taken in Duokan'12: see this post
- You can use send to kindle via email (sync, an alternative for whispersync) property after registrating on System_Settings>Account>Register ( this will provide you an email address like email@example.com (similar to Amazon's firstname.lastname@example.org)
- How to use push fuction to get feeds: read this post
- Data Transfer through wifi connection is available through system settings> WIFI Data Transfer > Enable also Menu>WIFI Data Transfer (thanks to tvjohn) (this might help also)
- Changing font: System Settings> English Font, Local Font (place your fonts in DK_System/Lite/res/userfont )
- To read a RTL ePub(Arabic, Hebrew): read this thread
- To use custom screensaver copy them to this folder: DK_System\Lite\res\ScreenSaver
- You can use .cbz(Manga) files without any problem by adding a .zip to their names (see this post)
To report a bug:
PLEASE USE THIS THREAD FOR YOUR QUESTIONS ABOUT DUOKAN INSTEAD OF OPENING A NEW ONE ; THIS WOULD BE MUCH MORE APPROPRIATE SINCE THIS HELPS TO FIND THEM WHEN NEEDED AND ALSO MAKES IT EASIER TO FOLLOW.
quoted from duokan.com
We are trying to collecting your feedback with the Mailbox: email@example.com . It will be better, if you provide some Data (books, Environments). If you follow the format, We can Category the bugs and fixed sooner.
Title: [Problem Description,Issue title or questions]
Version: [ver. Number]
a. ...Frequency:everyday, everytime, every week, occasionally, disappear after restart .
Thanks for your help. We will response your issue ASAP.
-Best, DuoKan Development Team.