View Single Post
Old 04-25-2008, 01:35 PM   #72
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Hi Everyone! These are my opinions, so please love me for my differences as well as my sames. Here goes:
1. The Davinci Code - It was taken too seriously by some confused people, because Dan Brown marketed it as "fact." However, kudos to Brown for managing to slap together a mega blockbuster with nothing more than lifting a plot from other authors and using travel guides as resource material.

2. Songs of Earth and Power - It is 2 books cobbled together into one with a badly matched seam. Both halves are boring, except for the horror parts, which are very funny.

3. Anything in the "for Dummies" series - Instead of being ashamed of being too dumb to read a manual or take a course, people in my office proudly display this series.

4. Battlefield Earth 1 & 2 - For all of the reasons stated by others, and also because it is the only set of books I ever read that made me angry twice: First for wasting so much time reading the first book, and then secondly, for making me angry again by fooling myself that surely the second book must be better. It wasn't. But at least I learned that it's OK not to finish a book.

5. The Two Towers (Lord of the Rings) - It is a very long segue from book 1 to book 3. Don't yell, I know 2 Towers is more character driven than event driven as in the other books, but I just seem to skim the whole book whenever I re-read the series.

6. A Fire Upon the Deep - Vernor Vinge's prequel to his masterpiece A Deepness in the Sky. Deepness was magical, but Fire was merely tedious.

7. Anything Jane Austen - Sorry, Dr D, but I'm a lit graduate and had these prissy, precocious books shoved down my throat again and again throughout college. Since then, anything that reeks of rural spinsters with good manners just sort of riles me up.

8. .........

I ran out of titles! I guess it's not so bad to have an extra-short list of books I dislike. It's a good thing. Oh crap, that reminds me....

8. Anything Martha Stewart writes. She is the anti-Christ's housekeeper.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote