Reconverted Entire Library
Because of my older eyes, I use larger fonts on my reader. Large fonts plus fully justified text is ugly. So I chose to take the time tonight to do a epub to epub conversion of my entire library. I added left justify and changed the top and bottom paragraph margins from .5em to .3em.
First, in calibre, I changed the number of processes able to run to take advantage of the new machine I just setup at work. I ended up with 8 conversions running at any time. Next I exited Dropbox, on rare occasions Dropbox seems to get in the way of a lot of reading/writing. So to be safe I exited Dropbox for the duration of the conversions.
I did the conversion in batches.
100 at first to see if my settings were correct.
900 Some more spot checking.
5055 This batch took exactly 2 hours.
When I finished I had 8 books that would not convert this time even though they had converted fine in the past. 1 book was corrupted beyond salvage and the other 7 all had the same UnicodeDecodeError. The error pointed to a themedata file left over from the books beginning as a Word document. I used tweak Epub to open each file and delete the offending file and converted these 7 like I had the rest. The 1 corrupted file I retrieved from an external drive and converted that to my liking too.
Now let's see how long it takes Dropbox to upload 9000+ new files. Fortunately my upload speed here at work is better than that at home (where my home machine is busy downloading the new updates.)
Kovid, thanks for a great program, it was fun to see all the cores of the cpu working their butts off.
Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-13-2011 at 03:02 AM.