View Single Post
Old 09-10-2011, 01:39 AM   #1
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Others (sold/gifted), iPad Air, Kindle PW2, Xperia Z Ultra
Kobo is Junk - Buyer Beware

I had to issue a refund to the purchaser of my Kobo.

When performing a factory reset to prepare item for shipment, unit is unresponsive. Will not power on. After 5 hours of charging there is no change. Screen is white. Tried performing several hard resets to no avail. I did the paper clip in the back thing and the hold down power switch and home button thing. The device had been powered off for several days (fully charged). I had anticipated selling it when I got my Sony. The factory reset was performed successfully, and it was at the Welcome screen. I decided to turn it on just to make sure it was good to go. I wasn't going to, but something kept prompting me to do it.

After Googling I've discovered that this is common. I can deal with bugs and anticipated firmware updates for missing features. But hardware failure within several days/weeks of purchase is UNACCEPTABLE. I don't know who slapped this crap together, but it's an embarrassment.

I don't recommend buying one of these devices from someone in the United States who purchased from Borders. Someone may try to sell knowing the unit doesn't power on. Be cautious.

EDIT by Moderator: This thread is closed (see final post). OP's resolution as follows:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I was contacted here at MobileRead by a Kobo representative who would like to assist me with my issue. I won't keep adding fuel to the fire by continuing to make known my frustration. Everyone knows how I feel and that's that. Let's see if this thread can make its way off of the front page. It has attracted enough attention. I'll do my part by not posting to it anymore.

Last edited by montsnmags; 09-12-2011 at 06:32 PM.