Read Chinese in Kobo Touch
Steps I took to enable Kobo Touch (firmware 1.9.10) to display Chinese. About a 10 minutes task
1) Collect 2 font files "simsun.ttf" (Windows default font for Simplified Chinese) and "mingliu.ttf" (traditional Chinese). I also include "fangsong_gb2312.ttf" file for older version Chinese ebook. Do not use the *.ttc files in your PC's Windows font folder. The *.ttf files can be easily downloaded from internet.
2) Connect KOBO to your PC, and tap "connect" on the KOBO screen. Your PC will recognise the KOBO as any USB drive. Use Windows explorer to navigate to the KOBO drive directory.
3) Create a new folder "fonts" in the directory, has to spell exactly fonts without the quotation marks.
4) Copy the *.ttf font files mentioned in (1) to the folder. In my case, the files are 10, 6 and 4 MB each.
5) Eject KOBO from PC and go to any ebook, tap in the middle to call up the font icon (lower right), tap on it and you will see the 3 added fonts to the 7 factory installed fonts that came with KOBO Touch.
6) Now your KOBO is a Chinese reader which can read Chinese ebook in pdf and epub formats (I checked only 2). You can also launch the KOBO browser (settings>extra>launch browser to sites such as "www.sina.com.cn" (for simplified Chinese) or "www.mingpao.com" for (traditional) to check whether the contents are displayed properly. My Gmail account also displayed emails with Chinese characters.
I have not been able to figure out writing Chinese with the keyboard in the Touch yet?
Hope the steps will help anyone who wants to include Chinese ebook or email/web surfing in their KOBO.