View Single Post
Old 09-06-2011, 01:34 AM   #10729
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International & Sony PRS-T1 & BlackBerry PlayBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Umm... thinking. Well, in the one I just finished, it was the mother of the bride who did it - and she was a Cabot (of the Boston Cabots). So not a community misfit, but indeed deranged. But you're right, she does tend to pick a theme and stay with it, LOL. But at least she moves Faith around a bit, so we don't get what I call Cabot Cove Syndrome...
I remember I rather liked The Body in the Fjord when I read it; enough to go and pick up another 4 books in the series off the library shelf. But I read them all in a row and it just got weirder thinking "Huh… didn't she already use the cra-a-a-a-zy killer motivation in the last book? And the one before… And the one before…"

And then when all the ones I'd gotten turned out to be like that, I started wondering if they were all like that. But that was the point where the library ran out of convenient on-shelf copies and I was never really morbidly curious enough to take the time to confirm/deny on my own afterwards. So thank you kindly for the reply. You've just solved one of life's minor mysteries for me.

Anyway, as for me, I've been feeling nostalgic and re-reading Steven Brust's Vlad Taltos series in my paper editions in between other stuff.

Other stuff includes finishing yet another Fictionwise sale purchase: Growing Light by Marta Randall.

This is a murder mystery by an author who normally writes sf, and it's set in a kind of cross between a trendy New Age workplace and a doomed dot.com. Only going by the technology I think it pre-dates actual dot.coms and it is a backlist reprint anyway.

But in any case, while it was a little slow to start, setting up the eccentricities of certain of the characters and environment involved, it soon became fairly fun.

For one thing, it had some of the funniest "rival suspects suspiciously accusing each other of being murderous murderers while denying their own suspected murderousness" and "setting up the probably guilty party to be confronted with evidence of said guilt in front of an assembly of all the other parties involved" scenes I've ever read.

The basic plot is that aspiring tech writer Anne Munro interviews and takes a job she really needs at an up and coming firm. Only, her first day on the job is complicated by the murder of another coworker who turns out to be the sort of coworker that's so hated that practically everyone had a reason to do them in.

And she can't just quit, because a) she really needs the job, and b) it looks like she's been set up to be the prime suspect in the murder. So she turns amateur sleuth while trying to figure out not only whodunnit and clear her name, but also which of her fellow suspect coworkers are trustworthy enough that she can get reliable info from them, and how much she can rely on official police help when she's been fingered as the most probable culprit.

Lots of fun allusions to the mystery genre in general, with her having a "What Would Miss Marple Do?" kind of conversation with the sympathetic detective on the case.

Mild-to-moderate recommend. It is a bit quirky, and the computer technology is really dated, and the software set up is really absurd (planting according to your horoscope?), but it turns out that the last was actually a deliberate spoof and it's a fairly charming, enjoyable read if you like those kinds of things in a mystery.
ATDrake is online now   Reply With Quote