View Single Post
Old 09-02-2011, 09:43 PM   #10705
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International & Sony PRS-T1
Finished Fellowship of Fear by Aaron Elkins, 1st in his Gideon Oliver, Intrepid Globe-Trotting Forensic Anthropologist series. I got this from Fictionwise for the low, low price of $1.60 during one of their previous 60% off coupon weekends and went back and bought the rest during their most recent one after having read the first half of this.

It's an older amateur sleuth series (the main plot involves said sleuth getting caught up into a suspected spy investigation) and kind of dated in parts beyond the Cold War aspects of the background. But still quite readable and fun in other parts, and some moderately clever misdirection as to to who were the actual guilty culprits.

I especially liked the little mini-lectures on philology and cranial shape as related to identifying the people who were attacking him. But then, I've always liked it when fictional academics bring their fictional academic credentials to bear on practically irrelevant aspects of "all we really need to know is these people are trying to kill you and how can we prevent them from doing so".

Medium recommend. A promising start for the first novel of what seems to have been a moderately popular series (10 books thus far republished as e-books) which hopefully gets more polished as it goes along.
ATDrake is online now   Reply With Quote