Originally Posted by axel77
Its always the unanswerable question of, shall I yet wait another year to possibly buy a better device, or do I want to start using one now?
It depends on each individual's need. I can roughly divide the consumers into 3 groups with respect to their willingness to wait.
A) Those who need a PDF reading e-ink device with annotation feature right now
B) Those who can make do with not-so-good PDF reader (6 inch reader) for now and will buy another 9.7 inch reader when it comes out.
C) Those who can wait for 6 month or 1 year until a 9.7 inch PDF reader comes out.
If you belong to A) group, then Iliad is the obvious choice. However, for those who are in B or C, not buying Iliad is cheaper.
For group C) waiting for Astak/Netronix reader is much cheaper (less than half the price of an Iliad).
Even for group B), it is still cheaper than getting one Iliad. For example, if the person buys a sony PRS-505 to make do for the time being and then she buys Astak/Netronix when available, it will still cost her less than buying one Iliad.
Of course, all this conclusion rests on the assumption that 9.7 inch reader will come out by the end of this year at the stated price.