View Single Post
Old 09-01-2011, 02:56 PM   #14
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
The thing about grouped store posts (even in the dedicated forums) is that outside of the Kindle thread which gets a lot of traffic and is replaced every month, no one really bothers updating them. I used to maintain a couple of Sony/Kobo/ADE-ePub compatible round-up threads right here in the Deals forum, but it got to be really tedious and eventually I gave it up.

An advantage of individual book threads is that even if a title isn't available in your preferred store, if it looks interesting, you can check to see if it's available elsewhere, and lo and behold! sometimes it is. Or you can download the appropriate software and try your hand at the "tools". Whatever works for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apesmom View Post
I prefer to see "Agency" in a title rather than a store or format when applicable because I know the offer is supposed to universally available and the thread title doesn't need to be updated as members add posts about availability at other stores.
One of the problems with categorizing things as "Agency" is that it can be hard to tell which are the Agency publishers. The Big 6's main imprints are easy, but they've got a lot of subsidiary lines, and then there are the smaller specialized presses which are still Agency, like Christian fiction publisher Zondervan. So either the thread-titler would have to know offhand, or consult a list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Not everyone converts. So even DRM free, it's not going to work if it's not in the correct format to start with.
Yeah, but at least it makes it easier for those who are ideologically attached to non-DRM books to find them. And it opens up the reading pool possibilities for people who are willing to try and convert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One question. Have all the thread title been updated as people chime in with other shops that have the same deal?
It takes a mod to do that, and I know that there are at least two mods which frequent this forum to do updates, one of whom (dreams, I believe) makes it a point to kindly take the time to visit at least once a day to check and change the titles so that people skimming the forum don't miss out on deals applicable to their reader.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote