Just an update for people on the progress of my debugging for the bug PoP found.
I have managed to recreate the error on my own computer. It seems that there may be some characters in the date string that are not displayed e.g. new line characters etc. I think that these were missed due to my initial development being on windows and not linux. The text file is created in linux which means it has different ways of generating new lines. I have clearly overlooked this fact as when I was initially developing the application I had copied the contents of my clippings file into a windows text file.
I should be able to fix this issue tonight so expect another release either tonight or tomorrow.
Also I have managed to get the application working on the kindle in a terminal. This could mean a release that runs on the kindle in the future.
Once this bug is fixed I will start work on a graphical application, what kind of features would the community like to see in this application.
I have seen that people want the clippings organized by books and that they would like to copy the text from a single clipping but what else.
And finally thank you to Mario1up for putting this application in the Comprehensive List of Kindle Hacks.