View Single Post
Old 04-20-2008, 06:41 PM   #11
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
Here's something rarely mentioned:

If you want to borrow library ebooks on e-ink you need a Cybook or Iliad because they are the only ones which read encrypted Mobipocket. Do I need to mention that library borrowing gives you access to lots of modern books for FREE? At some libraries there may be a yearly fee, still, less than buying each book you read. I believe ebook libraries will be a growing thing in the coming years.

If this is appealing to you, you need to forget Sony and Kindle.

Adobe pdf's can also be borrowed but to read the encrypted library type you'll need a handheld pc, not an e-ink device.

Of course, there are tens of thousands of out of copyright books for free online, and there are a growing number of newer authors publishing free online or in time limited free give-away promotions, so there are other free ebooks available.

I'm right handed and I hold the cybook in my right hand most of the time. I hold it in my left sometimes too. It's EXTREMELY light weight so even my pitiful left hand can hold it from the bottom for a long time, and turn the page left handed, although that maneuver requires more difficult holding. I have done it without too much trouble.

Cybook gives you TWELVE font sizes to choose from. That is the kind of thing that is also not much mentioned. And your font size is saved when you turn it off (I've read Sony doesn't save font size, I'm not 100% sure it's true- can someone verify?).

Drawbacks of the Cybook are the less than great library navigation if you want to carry around hundreds or thousands of books all the time, and the largest SD cards it supports is 2gb, which is less than the other readers. So if you are one wanting a massive library with you at all times, the Cybook has it's drawbacks. These things may or may not be changed with firmware updates. If you are not interested in a megalibrary, it's not a problem. If you don't mind using your computer to put only a limited amount of books on the Cybook at one time, it's not a problem. If you don't mind carrying more than one SD card, it's not a problem.

Last edited by cmbs; 04-20-2008 at 06:45 PM.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote