View Single Post
Old 04-19-2008, 11:19 PM   #1
cerement
Groupie
cerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it is

Device: Amazon Kindle 1, Sony PRS-300, Amazon Kindle 3
I really want to get an E-Ink Reader

I really do, but of the three that I can probably get hold of the easiest (Kindle, PRS-505, and Cybook), but all of them seem to have some shortcomings ...

In other words, I *REALLY* need some help deciding ...
[and there's some strong opinions ahead]

[the iLiad is out for being too large and too expensive]

I've played with the PRS-505 in stores and the E-Ink page flash doesn't really bug me (that much). And I'm computer savvy enough that converting between the various formats doesn't faze me (and with Baen supplying the major formats anyways, I don't think it's really an issue anymore). [Actually, the only time it would crop up would be having to typographically clean up a Gutenberg text.] I've comfortably read novels on my Palm TX and I thoroughly enjoy the "taking your whole library with you" aspect of digital readers.

Kindle
It's f*ugly! I'm sorry, but it is. (In the video with Neil Gaiman, he doesn't even touch his Kindle, just leaves it on the armrest and ignores it while he talks. -- "Yeah, I like you, just don't stand near me in public.") Only comes with a single font, but at least they picked a very nice font (PMN Caecilia)

PRS-505
Very nice design, sleek, and nice button layout. Also only comes with a single font ... one of the ugliest text fonts to date. Times had its day when it was being used for newspapers and was competing against Clarendon. (From a designer standpoint, people who still use Times and Arial need to be smacked.)
Is there a way to add a better font selection to the PRS-505? I've seen links to adding Unicode support for Russian and CJK, do these techniques also work for generic Latin-1 fonts? [I would prefer not to have to resort to PDFs]

Cybook
Form factor is small, sleek, lightweight. Supports multiple fonts (I can even load on Caecilia and pretend I have a Kindle Gen2). But I'm right-handed and thus I always hold my books in my left hand. From the photos of the Cybook I've seen, it only has one primary navigation button located on the righthand side of the device and looks like it would be uncomfortable to hold lefthanded.
Are there any other nav buttons for page flipping on the Cybook? Is the Cybook comfortable to hold in the left hand and it just looks inconvenient?

Thanks for any answers and information everyone can provide. Are there any other little "shortcomings" I should be aware of? Taking into consideration my ramblings above, what are people's recommendations?
cerement is offline   Reply With Quote