View Single Post
Old 08-24-2011, 02:25 PM   #99
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
[Warning: this post should not be considered as options for our book club. I'm just pondering on various voting methods out there since the subject was brought up.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Ranked voting isn't really that complicated. Also, you don't have to rank "every" option.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voting_...voting_methods

Of course, it would be nice if the forum software poll module supported it.

BOb
Yes, all this is interesting. While the programmers for this site may take the time to add in hidden voting, I doubt they'll ever add in ranked voting; that would be a lot. But it is interesting, especially when there are so many choices (ten) and you can only choose one. If it were ever possible a 1-2-3 ranked polling would be nice, where say 1 gets three points, 2 gets two and 3 gets one point, or something similar. Not that I ever expect it or really care too much about it; I'm just commenting on the topic of your post.

Along this line, there's also the way the Oscars do it, which is extremely fair for multiple choice votes but also extremely time consuming. They do ranked voting of every nominee and count up all the first place votes. Once that is done, whoever has the least votes is eliminated. The votes of the nominee eliminated are recounted according to the second place votes on those ballots. Then, after that is done, whoever has the least votes is eliminated. That continues until there is a winner. In this way, every voter gets to rank every choice to their liking, and their choice is taken into consideration and matters at every moment. It would be fantastic if there were some software that would allow voting in a poll like this, but obviously it would be very complex and is a pipe-dream.

Similarly and while we're on the subject, the only other way I see of making the vote in this club reach a larger consensus would be to have two votes - one with the ten, then only take the top two or so vote-getters and have a run-off vote so that everyone can vote what they really want the first time without having to worry about supporting a leader, and then also have the chance to have a say on the ones that have the most votes by the end. This would be twice as much work and last twice as long though, and I really see no reason for it. But it was worth mentioning since we're discussing all this.

What I'm really seeing is that many people want to keep it simple, and keeping it simple will keep participation higher. So even if we could ever have ranked voting or whatnot, we may ought not to.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote