View Single Post
Old 08-22-2011, 03:43 PM   #4
Hamlet53
Noli Me Tangere
Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hamlet53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9"
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'm nominating People of the Abyss, Jack London's account of living among London slumdwellers at the turn of the last century. It's a deeply effecting, highly shocking tale and influenced Orwell among others. It's in the public domain, so the price is right.
I'll provide the third for this. I wonder if this helped inspire Orwell to write The Road to Wigan Pier?

I'd also like to nominate In Cold Blood by Truman Capote.
Spoiler:

If all Truman Capote did was invent a new genre--journalism written with the language … more »and structure of literature--this "nonfiction novel" about the brutal slaying of the Clutter family by two would-be robbers would be remembered as a trail-blazing experiment that has influenced countless writers. But Capote achieved more than that. He wrote a true masterpiece of creative nonfiction.

Inkmesh Search
Hamlet53 is offline   Reply With Quote