View Single Post
Old 04-16-2008, 02:04 PM   #30
msundman
Zealot
msundman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.msundman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.msundman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: FBReader on Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusfp View Post
You'd be surprised... prior state information, temperature compensation, waveform, etc. If the device is already going to be sluggish because of the displays rate, I'd rather not have it additionally bogged down keeping track of 0.5 million pixels and clocking out (~800x600) every 20ms.
You're writing some kind of pixel data for all pixels on the screen at 50 fps on an eink display? Seems unlikely.
Also, what you described takes neither memory (1-4 bytes/pixel seems enough) nor time (small LUTs seems enough).

Quote:
Not to mention most embedded processors have an LCD controller of some sort, so it's not like this is an unheard of even for simplier display technologies
Yes, of course you need some kind of frame buffer or blitter or whatever. My point was that this custom chip should be as generic as possible instead of implementing specific high level concepts such as menus or whatever. At least until it's been shown exactly which things are too slow (or takes too much power) to do in software without specific hardware-acceleration.

Quote:
This device went through an extensive beta program with many device manufactures, and yes, feedback.
Well, at least it's good to know they didn't just do internal testing.

Quote:
Yes, I agree that there is a chance of omitting things that would be useful, and including things that may not be needed.
Not only that, but having certain very specific things optimized might steer the way of the future development into a bad direction. The recovery of such a thing often takes lots of time (but might make some company lots of money), during which the endusers will have to endure needlessly bad readers. I'm very pro-enduser, so I tend to criticize things that might be bad for endusers (even when I'm part of the dev team and thus get to suffer the heat of my own criticism).

OTOH, the optimizations might turn out to be very good, and in that fortunate case => happy happy joy joy

Last edited by msundman; 04-16-2008 at 02:12 PM.
msundman is offline   Reply With Quote